Learning to function as part of an effective team is a key learning goal of MGYFA. The method for assigning teams varies among grades.
2nd Grade team rosters will ideally contain 12 to 18 players. Players are assigned to teams by elementary school and/or neighborhood, and by registration date whenever possible. Our first priority is for kids to play with their classmates. If there is more than one team per grade for a school, the teams will be grouped by registration input time and date. If there are not enough kids from a school to create a full team, the kids will be grouped with other players in the same grade from a different school or schools.
2nd grade teams will play 6 or 7 man flag football and will play in a house league against other MGYFA 2nd grade teams. It's truly an educational league.
3rd and 4th Grade team rosters will contain 16 to 20 players. Players are assigned to teams by elementary school and/or neighborhood and by registration date whenever possible. Priorities are first to ensure that players play on teams with their classmates. If there is more than one team per grade for a school, the teams will be grouped by registration input time and date. If there are not enough kids from a school to make up a full team they'll be grouped with other players in the same grade from a different school or schools.
3rd and 4th grade teams play 9 man football and will play against other teams from the LMAA. Maple Grove teams will not play against each other.
5th, 6th, 7th & 8th Grade team rosters may contain up to 18 players for 6th grade and 22 players for 7th and 8th grades. Teams are formed via an "Equidraft" system. Equidraft is a evaluation and selection process where the objective is to create teams that have an equal distribution of player ability and size on each team. 5th and 6th grade teams play 9 man football, while 7th and 8th grade teams play 11 man football. All teams will play against other teams from the LMAA. Maple Grove teams will not play against each other.
The Equidraft system at the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade levels includes players registered for football through MGYFA. Evaluations are held BEFORE practice begins.
Players are evaluated on several different skills:
* 40-yard dash
* Shuttle Run
* Standing broad jump
* Blocking technique
* Tackling technique
* Running back
* Willingness to be coached and attitude
Each player is assigned a rating based upon their performance in all of the applicable drills. Depending the grade level, each coaching staff can select either 2 or 3 players. However, the total ranking of each team's players after the draft must be substantially similar.
After players are drafted, the remaining players are divided into equal units. Once all head coaches believe the units are equal (abilities, player positions, assistant coaches available to help, weights, etc.), the units are placed in a hat. Each head coach selects, at random, one team from the hat, and this becomes that coach's team for the season.
The Equidraft system allows for one head coach and one assistant coach per team to select their children for the team they will be coaching for the upcoming season. These selections are factored into the Equidraft selection process prior to the assignment of players to rosters.
Player Evaluations for 5th-8th graders is rapidly approaching. 5th & 6th graders will be evaluated on Monday, August 7, and 7th & 8th graders will be evaluated onTuesday, August 8. Please see below for detailed information.
A few important announcements:
* No spectators will be allowed on or around the field. This is a players only event.
* Allow approximately 75 minutes for your player to be evaluated. Feel free to drop off and pick up.
* Players should report at least 15 minutes prior to their assigned start time.
* Players should wear full pads — helmets, shoulder pads, football pants practice jersey (or other suitable jersey), etc.
* Mouth guards are MANDATORY in order to participate in any of the contact drills.
* If, for any reason, your athlete will not be in attendance, please email MGYFA Board Member Steve Powers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those of you new to MGYFA or participating in your first player evaluation, here’s what to expect . . .
* Athletes will be put through a series of drills.
* Each drill will be taught prior to the athlete being evaluated.
* The purpose of the evaluations is to help MGYFA create equal and balanced teams for the 2017 season. Coaches rely on these evaluations during the EquiDraft for guidance. Accordingly, we simply ask that all players put forth their best effort during the evaluations.
Parents & Fans:
* A number of limited availability items will be for sale during the player evaluations. These items are available on a first-come, first-served basis at reduced pricing. Once these items are gone, they will not be re-ordered. Cash or checks will be accepted.
5th & 6th Grades
Monday, August 7, 2017
Maple Grove Dome Turf Field
5th Grade Last Name
6th Grade Last Name
7th & 8th Grades
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Maple Grove Dome Turf Field
7th Grade Last Name
8th Grade Last Name